TORCH Speech and Debate Club
- Speech club meets Thursdays 1:30-3:00 at Capital Baptist Church, 3504 Gallows Road, Annandale, VA.
- Club meets from September through mid-April.
- Open to students ages 12-18 on October 1, 2022.
- The club helps students learn basic public speaking skills and prepares students to compete in the local tournaments.
- TORCH students must participate in the TORCH hosted speech tournament. Tournament participation is essential for speaking improvement. We encourage all TORCH students to participate in all the local tournaments. Dates and locations of these tournaments will be announced as soon as possible.
TORCH affiliates with Stoa, a national homeschool speech and debate league, and conducts its tournaments according to Stoa rules. STOA membership is required in order to participate in any STOA modeled tournaments. It is a one year per family fee. See the link below for more details. Registration opens June 1. Take advantage of the early registration before Dec 31, 2022 and save $20!! (https://stoausa.org/events/membership-registration/ )Students have the opportunity to compete and earn a slot to the national competition in 11 competitive speech events in four broad categories:
- Limited Preparation
- Wild Card
- Extemp requires a software program that allows students to access news articles without the use of the internet–extempgenie.com
- All speeches will be practiced during Gavel Club and breakout rooms but all preparation for the limited prep events, platform, and interpretive events must be done at home.
- Junior Speech for siblings ages 7-11. Juniors will have 2-3 opportunities to compete in local tournaments.
- Childcare for infants through 6
- Parents must also attend a Speech Parent Orientation meeting which will be scheduled prior to the beginning of club in August.
Team Policy (TP) Debate (Not Currently Offered)
- Open to students ages 12-18 by October 1, 2022.
- TP debate students compete in teams of two, and they propose and argue against specific policy changes. The 2022-23 resolution will be announced in May at Stoausa.org
Lincoln Douglas (LD) Debate
- LD Debate meets Thursdays 3:00-4:30
- Open to students ages 12-18 by October 1, 2022
- LD is one on one debate. The debate centers around values where the debaters will be examining competing value systems to answer big questions. The 2022-2023 resolution will be announced in May at Stoausa.org
Parliamentary (Parli) Debate
TORCH does not offer formal Parli coaching at this time, but students will be informed of local tournaments and may choose to participate.
- Open to students ages 16-18 by October 1, 2022 or students currently in high school with at least one year of LD or TP debate experience.
- Parli debate students compete in teams of two, and the resolution changes every round.
- If an alumni coach is hired, there may be an additional coaches’ fee assessed.